Thursday, January 21, 2010

EIR Activity 6

Hey. Nice to be back here again. Today, I will be talking about invisible web which I had learnt in my EIR lesson. Here are the question given to us to talk on today's lesson.

a) Do you think it is more effective to search the invisible web (Databases) than using search engines, meta0search engines or subject directories? Why?

b) Will you use the invisible web (Databases) for research in your own respective Diplomas? Why?

c) What have you learnt from your wiki experience during this practical?

And here are my answer to each particular question.

a) Do you think it is more effective to search the invisible web (Databases) than using search engines, meta0search engines or subject directories? Why?

After much interaction with EBSCOhost database during the lesson, I feel that the information provided and available in these invisible web(databases) are very relevant and reliable to the topic that I am researching on. EBSCOhost database contains a vast collection of newspaper articles across the globe. Personally, I would prefer using invisible web databases as I feel that the information provided by these invisible web databases tend to have triumps over other search facilities in terms of trustworthiness as these articles had been published by other people from other places. So it means that people outside of Singapore also trust the information provided by the invisible web databases.


b) Will you use the invisible web (Databases) for research in your own respective Diplomas? Why?

Yes, I would definitely use these invisible web databases for my research in my own Diplomas which is Biotechnology. There is so much reliable information available on the articles provided which had gain many trust of other users. It also assures me that the information provided for my research topic that I browse is safe and accurate.

c) What have you learnt from your wiki experience during this practical?

I have learnt that through wikis, much more information can be shared and presented as compared to a project endeavour by an individual. Through wikis, different people with similar interest topics are able to express their thoughts and knowledge freely and openly. Through the collaborative efforts of various people on their topic of interest, the research information on the wikis are constantly edited, updated (Current). Redundant information put on wikis are deleted by people to make the research as detailed and concise as possible. This makes the research topic more interesting and engaging for viewers/readers. Not to say people who are also interested on that research topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment