Thursday, January 21, 2010

EIR Activity 4 & 5

Finally, I have started on my EIR blog after MIA for so long. On EIR Activity 4 & 5, we was asked to compare and evaluate the effectiveness of Meta-Search Engine and Subject Directory.

Firstly, let me talk about the effectiveness of Meta-Search Engine. Well. An example of a Meta-Search Engine can be www.mamma.com. Mamma is quite a good search facilities to search for resources. It shows only a few links that are closely related to my research topic. Most of the links are from organization doing on that topic. One of the good things about the Mamma is that, it has some search suggestion to help me do my searching effectively. It also have recent searches just right below the search suggestion that allows me to know what are the recent search I had done using it's search facilities.

Next, I will talk about the effectiveness of Subject Directory. As we all know, the most common Subject Directory will be the Yahoo Directory. To me, i think that this search facilities is quite special as it has different kind of category shown on the main page of the web. It has categorize all the topic together to make it look simple. It is very useful as it allows me to get to my research topic much faster then other search facilities in the sense that i do not have to type in my search topic and search for it. Nonetheless, it also have search engines like all other search facilities. Most of the sources provided are also relevant to my search topic.

After I had say so much, I think I had to make a conclusion on my preferred search facilities to use and it is the Subject Directory. Because that it's overall is much simple and all the topic had been well-organized into their respective field which make it look neater.


Well. I think that's all for my today's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment